Friday, August 6, 2010

The week of July 18 shifted the entire facet of my summer by about ninety degrees. While I was researching possible freelance writing jobs online, my grandma stumbled across an online application. When she told me about it, I thought it was some sort of community thing where you put in an application and they distribute it to any companies in the area who have openings. Boy, was I wrong. I filled out the application and submitted it, and within five minutes I got a call from a lady with Vector Marketing. Turns out that this application was for a position as a sales representative with Vector. I scheduled an interview for the next day, and was immediately hired upon completing the interview. The next day I began training (on Thursday, two days after submitting the application) and completed training Saturday. Saturday evening, I completed my first two appointments, both of which resulted in sales. It was a whirlwind!
Two weeks in, it is going much slower; however, the reason is a hesitation to schedule appointments with people (I have to do my presentations in peoples' homes) knowing my limited transportation. I am dependent on others for transportation, so have to plan around a customer's schedule, a driver's schedule, and my schedule. However, despite this, I am anticipating a great experience with Vector Marketing that will boost my resume and benefit my major.
Briefly, Vector Marketing is the sister company to Cutco Corporation, a fine cutlery manufacturer. They focus on hiring college students to fill their positions as sales reps. This obviously benefits the students and the company, as the company gets people that they can train from the beginning rather than getting people who are set in potentially bad habits. As for the students: well, its obvious. Great experience, great pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment